Dean Sauvage - Best Junior Performance and second in the Old Mal / Loggers. Pic: Craig Leete
Ladies Winner Eleanor Robertson of Lennox Head. PIC: Craig Leete
Ladies Finalists. Pic: Craig Leete
7 August 18
With 100 competitors covering eight age and gender divisions, the Lennox Classic was held last weekend over two pristine days weekend. Saturday’s swell was very small, real small, but with favourable winds for the venue at Lennox Main.
Sunday’s predicted swell size was less than a foot, but it surprised us and doubled up with nice contestable waves for longboarding at Lennox Main Beach, for an awesome day and the surf turned it on, and it got better with the incoming tide.
Stand-out surfing rounds were the Old Mal / Loggers Semi final on Sunday morning, with some real old style log riding in improving surf and noseriding displays to wow the crowd watching along the foreshore vantage spots.
The Open 9 Foot Final was as good as any longboard final with the eventual winner Scott Channon of Lennox Head surfing with his known classy longboard performance, winning for the second year in a row, while Eleanor Robertson of Lennox Head won the Ladies, repeating her ongoing class performances of 2017.
A noted performance was the logging style of Dean Sauvage, a junior coming second in the Loggers final, styling the single-fin amazingly well for his age.
The noseriding of Alex Glassington of the Gold Coast a past local junior, returned from an absence from the comp circles was top class in all his events.
The winners of the prize longboards given away were, The Phil Myers Fluid Free Flight Logger went to Alex Glassington on Saturday Night, and the Amos Shapes Longboard from the raffle went to Roz Brown of Lennox, drawn on Sunday at the Presso. Both of course were totally stoked
Sponsorship was appreciated from all the local businesses, with Mobile Plumbing Services Lennox the main sponsor. With great support also from Ripcurl Ballina, Inner Beauty Lennox, Lennox Surf, Herron Todd & White, Lennox Hotel, Stone & Wood, and Sideways Surf new to supporting the Classic this year.
Monies from the proceeds of the event go to beneficiary charities and organizations such as The NSW Cancer Council, Westpac Helicopter and Surfing for Disabled Association - as we’ve done for all past 21 years of this event.
This event as with all previous years events, thanks the competitors who patronise the Classic each year. And our sponsors, thank you again for coming on board for 2018.
- Cheers In Surfing, Club Secretary Wayne Booth.
Lennox Beach Resort, Lennox Hotel Open 9 Foot.
1. Scott Channon (Lennox). 2. Dean Bevan (Kingscliff). 3. Ben O'dwyer (Gold Coast). 4. Alex Glassington (Gold Coast)
Sideways Surf, Herron Todd White. Over 40s
1. Dean Bevan (Kingscliff). 2. Erin Nicholls (Gold Coast). 3. Ben McCabe (Lennox Head). 4. Micheal Crisp (Ballina)
Lennox Head Surf, Over 50s.
1. Mike Neunuebel (Denmark WA). 2. Wayne Offner (Gold Coast). 3. Mick Gett (Cabarita) . 4. Alain Sauvage (Caloundra).
MP Plumbing Over 60s.
1. Mike Pimm (Cabarita). 2. John Eddy (Lennox Head) 3. Patrick O'Hagan (Sunshine Coast Qld). 4. Gary Alford (Lennox Head).
Rip Curl Ballina Over 65s.
1. Eric Walker (Ballina) . 2.Ben Hutchings (Cabarita) . 3. Peter Dutton (Cabarita). 4. John Glassington (Lennox Head).
Lennox Gelato & Coffee Co, Old Mal / Loggers.
1. Lindsay Small (WA). 2. Dean Sauvage (Caloundra). 3. Alex Glassington (Gold Coast). 4. Chris Cain (Lennox Head).
Inner Beauty Lennox Head, Sun & Earth Zinc Ladies.
1. Eleanor Robertson (Lennox Head). 2. Jenny Hellyer (Lennox Head). 3. Lana Parkes (Lennox Head). 4. Kate Ashdown (Lennox Head). 5. Anna McCabe (Lennox Head). 6. Una Durkin (Lennox Head).
Best Over 50s Ladies - Liz Petterson (Cabarita)
Triple X Wetsuits Mystery Final.
1. Dane Chalk (Gold Coast). 2. Anthony Wheatland (Burleigh) . 3. Denis Lowe (Cabarita) 4. Wayne Booth (Lennox Head). 5. Wayne Sullivan (Lennox Head). 6. Colin Small (Burleigh)
Best Junior Award - Dean Sauvage (Caloundra)
Best Noseride - Alex Glassington ( Gold Coast)