Best of Show: Mini-Simmons by Tucker/Young; White Owl by Marc Andreini; Agave Gun by Gary Linden; Roberts Black Punt by Hydroflex/ Roberts & Slip In by Thomas Meyerhoffer
Thursday, 18 October 2012
The Boardroom International Surfboard Show names Best of Show winners.
Surfboards of varying shapes, designs and construction techniques took center stage at the Best of Show viewing area during THE BOARDROOM International Surfboard Show. The Boardroom Best of Show is a new opportunity for the surfboard industry to display their finest work.
There were five categories. A distinguished panel of experts decided the five Best of Show category winners. A large area of the show floor was set-aside for the crowd to view the Best of Show entries. The judges were in awe of the many creative and inspiring surfboards entered and they truly appreciated the expertise and effort that all the manufacturers put into this years' competition.
In an effort to keep the creative juices flowing, the Best of Show Advisory Council has suggested that next year each and every surfboard manufacturer / exhibitor will automatically be allowed one entry into the Best of Show competition.
THE BOARDROOM Best of Show Categories: 1) Best Sustainable Surfboard 2) Best Longboard 3) Best Wooden Surfboard 4) Best Shortboard 5) Best Concept Surfboard
BEST SUSTAINABLE SURFBOARD - BRAD TUCKER/JACK YOUNG - MINI-SIMMONS • Plantation-grown wood (no old growth)
• Glassed with bamboo glassing fabric (instead of fiberglass)
• Laminated with Entropy plant-based bio resins
• Wood glued up with Eco Glue wood adhesive (less than 1% VOC)
• All the wood shavings and sawdust go into my compost pile
• This board was made from balsa but we also build them from recycled broken surfboards and even discarded EPS foam insulation and packing materials.
BEST LONGBOARD - MARC ANDREINI - 1963 THE WHITE OWL BIG WAVE LONGBOARD • 10'8" by 20.5" by 3.58"
• Designed and shaped by Marc Andreini
• 1.25" Old Growth Redwood Stringer and Blank glue up by Marc Andreini.
• Double Volan Glass and Pigment by Doug Fletcher
• Fin by Juan Rodriguez
• This board is my interpretation of the original White Owl Gun built by Brian Bradley and Jeff White in Summerland, CA in 1963. The original hung in the White Owl Shop from 1963 until 2010.
BEST WOODEN SURFBOARD - GARY LINDEN - AGAVE GUN • Locally harvested agave stalks are used for 100% of the core and fins making this board about as Eco friendly as they come.
• The board is a 9' 8" gun shaped to surf Todos Santos Island.
• Harvested, glued up and shaped by Gary Linden.
• Then Linden charges 35-foot waves on it.
BEST SHORTBOARD - HYDROFLEX/ROBERTS - ROBERTS BLACK PUNT • Hydroflex Patented 3D-glassing with a carbon-fiber infused blank from InCide Foam which encompasses a carbon fiber strip giving the shaper and surfer infinite control over the flex of the surfboard.
• Uses Hydroflex 3D glassing and vacuum bagging to create the lightest glassing on the market with an unprecedented strength-to-weight ration.
• Futures Interwoven Laminate Technology (ITL) fin boxes. The cutouts in the ITL box create a stronger bond without increasing weight.
• Futures Vector II Roberts Honeycomb fins with the V2 foil that holds a better turning radius over conventional flat-sided fins.
• This board is one of the most technologically advanced surfboards on the market.
BEST CONCEPT SURFBOARD - THOMAS MEYERHOFFER - SLIP IN Slip In single fin and added some special sauce features for an increased experience level:
• Hollow AirNose for reduced swing weight
• Carbon fiber flex tail for suspension and variable rocker
• A new flexible single fin collaboration with Futures Fins that fits in a short box.
A record crowd flocked to The Boardroom International Surfboard Show to check out the the great surfboards, meet shapers and designers, and take in all the events and exhibits. Close to 4000 surfboard lovers walked the floor on Saturday and an additional 2000 enjoyed Sundays events. The show took place October 6 & 7, 2012 at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and honored the ultimate surfer / shaper, 4X World Champion Mark Richards (MR), during the Icons of Foam Shaping Tribute presented by US Blanks.
A live webcast, featuring hosts Dave Stanfield and Todd Kline, sent the entire show to an international audience. A State of the Surfboard Industry roundtable discussion, hosted by GrindTV's Chris Mauro, featured industry insight from the likes of PT, Pat Rawson, and Maurice Cole. The roundtable focused on the consumer and enthusiast surfer. You can view summary versions of the entire webcast on FACEBOOK OR YouTube.